Libraries and Frameworks¶
There are many libraries available for reading and/or writing Tiled maps (either stored in the TMX Map Format or the JSON Map Format) as well as many development frameworks that include support for Tiled maps. This list is divided into two sections:
The first list is for developers who plan on implementing their own renderer. The second list is for developers already using (or considering) a particular game engine / graphics library who would rather pass on having to write their own tile map renderer.
For updates to this page please open a pull request or issue on GitHub, thanks!
Support by Language¶
These libraries typically include only a TMX parser, but no rendering support. They can be used universally and should not require a specific game engine or graphics library.
- C++/TinyXML based tmxparser (BSD)
- C++/Qt based libtiled, used by Tiled itself and included at src/libtiled (BSD)
- C++11x/TinyXml2 libtmx-parser by halsafar. (zlib/tinyxml2)
- C++11/TinyXml2 libtmx by jube, for reading only (ISC licence). See documentation.
- TMXParser General *.tmx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TSXParser for external tileset loading. (No internal tileset support)
- TSXParser General *.tsx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TMXParser.
- TMXLoader based on RapidXml. Limited functionality (check the website for details).
- tmxlite C++14 map parser with compressed map support but no external linking required. Includes examples for SFML and SDL2 rendering. Currently has full tmx support up to 0.16. (Zlib/libpng)
- Tileson - A Tiled JSON parser for modern C++ (C++17) by Robin Berg Pettersen (BSD)
- MonoGame.Extended has a Tiled map loader and renderer that works with MonoGame on all platforms that support portable class libraries.
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave (has dependency on XNA but supposedly can be turned into a standalone parser easily)
- TiledSharp: Yet another C# TMX importer library, with Tiled 0.11 support. TiledSharp is a generic parser which can be used in any framework, but it cannot be used to render the maps. Available via NuGet.
- NTiled: Generic parser for 0.9.1 tiled maps. Available via NuGet.
- TmxCSharp: Useful for multi-layer orthographic tile engines. No framework dependencies, used with a custom OpenTK tile engine soon to be open source, tested with Tiled 0.8.1 (multiple output formats). MIT license.
- tmx-mapper-pcl: PCL library for parsing Tiled map TMX files. This library could be used with MonoGame and Windows Runtime Universal apps.
- tile-soup: Parses and validates a TMX file into a map. Automatically decodes Base64 and CSV formatted data and coerces numbers when necessary. Works on both the JVM and in browsers via ClojureScript.
- A library for loading TMX files is included with Tiled at util/java/libtiled-java.
- TiledReader is a simple TMX reader that conveys the information in Tiled files via a hand-crafted class structure, but does not load image data.
Support by Framework¶
Following entries are integrated solutions for specific game engines. They are typically of little to no use if you’re not using said game engine.
Castle Game Engine (Object Pascal)¶
- cocos2d (Python) supports loading
- cocos2d-x (C++) supports loading TMX maps through the CCTMXTiledMap class.
- cocos2d-objc (Objective-C, Swift) (previously known as: cocos2d-iphone, cocos2d-swift, cocos2d-spritebuilder) supports loading TMX maps through CCTiledMap
- TilemapKit is a tilemapping framework for Cocos2D. It supports all TMX tilemap types, including staggered iso and all hex variations. No longer in development.
Construct 2 - Scirra¶
HTML5 (multiple engines)¶
- Canvas Engine A framework to create video games in HTML5 Canvas
- chem-tmx Plugin for chem game engine.
- chesterGL A simple WebGL/canvas game library
- KineticJs-Ext A multi-canvas based game rendering library
- melonJS A lightweight HTML5 game engine
- Panda 2, a HTML5 Game Development Platform for Mac, Windows and Linux. Has a plugin for rendering Tiled maps, both orthogonal and isometric.
- linux-man/p5.tiledmap adds Tiled maps to p5.js.
- Platypus Engine A robust orthogonal tile game engine with game entity library.
- sprite.js A game framework for image sprites.
- LITIengine is a 2D Java Game Engine that supports loading, saving and rendering maps in the .tmx format.
Oak Nut Engine (onut)¶
Solar2D (formerly Corona SDK)¶
- ponytiled is a simple Tiled Map Loader for Solar2D (forum announcement)
- Dusk Engine is a fully featured Tiled map game engine for Solar2D (no longer maintained, but may still be useful)
- Berry is a simple Tiled Map Loader for Solar2D.
- Qiso is an isometric engine for Solar2D that supports loading Tiled maps, and also handles things like path-finding for you.
Sprite Kit Framework¶
- SKTilemap is built from the ground up in Swift. It’s up to date, full of features and easy to integrate into any Sprite Kit project. Supports iOS and OSX.
- SKTiled - A Swift framework for working with Tiled assets in SpriteKit.
- JSTileMap is a lightweight SpriteKit implementation of the TMX format supporting iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 and above.
- SuperTiled2Unity is a collection of C# Unity scripts that can automatically import Tiled map editor files directly into your Unity projects.
- Tiled TMX Importer, imports into Unity 2017.2’s new native Tilemap system.
- Tiled to Unity is a 3D pipeline for Tiled maps. It uses prefabs as tiles, and can place decorations dynamically on tiles. Supports multiple layers (including object layers).
- Tuesday: A generic C# serializer and deserializer plus a set of Unity editor scripts that allow you to drag and drop TMX files into your scene, make edits, and save back out as TMX files. MIT license.
- UniTiled, a native TMX importer for Unity.
- X-UniTMX supports almost all Tiled 0.11 features. Imports TMX/XML files into Sprite Objects or Meshes.
- Orthello Pro (2D framework) offers Tiled map support.
Unreal Engine 4¶
- Paper2D provides built-in support for tile maps and tile sets, importing JSON exported from Tiled.
- FlatRedBall Glue tool ships with a Tiled plugin that loads TMX maps into the FlatRedBall engine, providing rich integration with its features.
- XTiled by Michael C. Neel and Dylan Wolf, XNA library for loading and rendering TMX maps
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave