Libraries and Frameworks¶
There are many libraries available for reading and/or writing Tiled maps (either stored in the TMX Map Format or the JSON Map Format) as well as many development frameworks that include support for Tiled maps. This list is divided into two sections:
The first list is for developers who plan on implementing their own renderer. The second list is for developers already using (or considering) a particular game engine / graphics library who would rather pass on having to write their own tile map renderer.
For updates to this page please open a pull request or issue on GitHub, thanks!
Support by Language¶
These libraries typically include only a TMX parser, but no rendering support. They can be used universally and should not require a specific game engine or graphics library.
- C++/Boost by Tomas Andrle (limited functionality, single cpp file)
- C++/TinyXML based tmx-parser (BSD)
- Original version by KonoM is discontinued.
- C++/Qt based libtiled, used by Tiled itself and included at src/libtiled (BSD)
- C++11x/TinyXml2 libtmx-parser by halsafar. (zlib/tinyxml2)
- C++11/TinyXml2 libtmx by jube, for reading only (ISC licence). See documentation.
- TMXParser General *.tmx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TSXParser for external tileset loading. (No internal tileset support)
- TSXParser General *.tsx tileset data loader. Intended to be used with TMXParser.
- TMXLoader based on RapidXml. Limited functionality (check the website for details).
- tmxlite C++14 map parser with compressed map support but no external linking required. Includes examples for SFML and SDL2 rendering. Currently has full tmx support up to 0.16. (Zlib/libpng)
- MonoGame.Extended has a Tiled map loader and renderer that works with MonoGame on all platforms that support portable class libraries.
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave (has dependency on XNA but supposedly can be turned into a standalone parser easily)
- TiledSharp: Yet another C# TMX importer library, with Tiled 0.11 support. TiledSharp is a generic parser which can be used in any framework, but it cannot be used to render the maps. Available via NuGet.
- NTiled: Generic parser for 0.9.1 tiled maps. Available via NuGet.
- TmxCSharp: Useful for multi-layer orthographic tile engines. No framework dependencies, used with a custom OpenTK tile engine soon to be open source, tested with Tiled 0.8.1 (multiple output formats). MIT license.
- tmx-mapper-pcl: PCL library for parsing Tiled map TMX files. This library could be used with MonoGame and Windows Runtime Universal apps.
Support by Framework¶
Following entries are integrated solutions for specific game engines. They are typically of little to no use if you’re not using said game engine.
- cocos2d (Python) supports loading
- cocos2d-x (C++) supports loading TMX maps through the CCTMXTiledMap class.
- cocos2d-objc (Objective-C, Swift) (previously known as: cocos2d-iphone, cocos2d-swift, cocos2d-spritebuilder) supports loading TMX maps through CCTiledMap
- TilemapKit is a tilemapping framework for Cocos2D. It supports all TMX tilemap types, including staggered iso and all hex variations. No longer in development.
Construct 2 - Scirra¶
- Tiled ships with a plug-in that can export a map to a GameMaker: Studio 1.4 room file
- Tiled2GM Converter by Dmi7ry
HTML5 (multiple engines)¶
- Canvas Engine A framework to create video games in HTML5 Canvas
- chesterGL A simple WebGL/canvas game library
- KineticJs-Ext A multi-canvas based game rendering library
- melonJS A lightweight HTML5 game engine
- Platypus Engine A robust orthogonal tile game engine with game entity library.
- sprite.js A game framework for image sprites.
- chem-tmx Plugin for chem game engine.
- linux-man/p5.tiledmap adds Tiled maps to p5.js.
- LITIengine is a 2D Java Game Engine that supports loading, saving and rendering maps in the .tmx format.
Oak Nut Engine (onut)¶
Sprite Kit Framework¶
- SKTilemap is built from the ground up in Swift. It’s up to date, full of features and easy to integrate into any Sprite Kit project. Supports iOS and OSX.
- SKTiled - A Swift framework for working with Tiled assets in SpriteKit.
- TilemapKit is a tilemapping framework for Sprite Kit. It supports all TMX tilemap types, including staggered iso and all hex variations. No longer in development.
- JSTileMap is a lightweight SpriteKit implementation of the TMX format supporting iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 and above.
- Orthello Pro (2D framework) offers Tiled map support.
- Tiled Tilemaps library by Karnak Games adds support for Orthogonal TMX maps to Unity, with automatic collision detection.
- Tiled To Unity is a 3D pipeline for Tiled maps. It uses prefabs as tiles, and can place decorations dynamically on tiles. Supports multiple layers (including object layers).
- Tiled2Unity exports TMX files to Unity with support for (non-simple) collisions.
- UniTMX imports TMX files into a mesh.
- X-UniTMX supports almost all Tiled 0.10 features. Imports TMX/XML files into Sprite Objects or Meshes.
Unreal Engine 4¶
- Paper2D provides built-in support for tile maps and tile sets, importing JSON exported from Tiled.
- FlatRedBall Engine TMXGlue tool by Domenic Datti loads TMX maps into the FlatRedBall engine, complete with node networks, pathfinding, and shapecollection support via object layers.
- TiledMax by Aimee Bailey, a .NET library for parsing TMX maps without dependencies on Windows or XNA
- XTiled by Michael C. Neel and Dylan Wolf, XNA library for loading and rendering TMX maps
- XNA map loader by Kevin Gadd, extended by Stephen Belanger and Zach Musgrave